Fixing WSUS - When the Best Defense is a Good Offense
*Update - With all the current WSUS issues I suggest folks also have a look at this new article from Microsoft, we are currently investigating its affects as well.
High CPU/High Memory in WSUS following Update Tuesdays
So this morning the Desktop guys started complaining about updates on some machines not working.
I started looking at the machine in question and SCCM seemed fine on the PC.
I checked the WUAhander.log and WindowsUpdate.log and came across the following errors:
I tried all the Windows update agent tricks in the book as I thought the issue was on the machine.
Then I checked my own workstation and it was doing the same so now start to worry that the WSUS box is on the fritz.
I log in and I am greated with the reset node mmc error when trying to open the WSUS console.
So I restarted the server in the hope that it might do the trick. Upon rebooting it looked fine and then the console stopped working again.
So next I try to figure out whats happening in the event viewer:
Does not mean a lot me so I start to research some of the WSUS error codes. Then one stands out HTTP error 503 and I remember something I read on Eswar's blog
Configmgr OnSearchComplete – Failed to end search job Error 0x80244022 WUAHandler.log
So I checked my Wsuspool in IIS and it was stopped. Starting it only works for a while then it stops again.
So I set out to find out more about HTTP error 503 then I came across the technet blog article:
ConfigMgr 2012 Support Tip: WSUS sync fails with HTTP 503 errors
So I did the changes on my Wsuspool in IIS as follows:
Private Memory Limit: 4194304 (4GB)
When I tried to start the apppool again it gave a error so I did an IISreset and after that everything was working as it should again.
I know this looks like a repeat of the other articles but had to add my experience onto it as well.